The Department of Nutritional Sciences graduate program is ranked in the top 25 programs in the nation. Our students are employed or are admitted to other graduate or professional degree programs shortly after graduation. For this reason, we attract a high caliber of students from a variety of backgrounds into our graduate programs.
Why Choose UGA?
Our faculty offers you a wealth of research opportunities. Study in clinical, community nutrition, basic science, or culinary science areas. We also have a sports nutrition emphasis. Find out more in our video message below.
The Ph.D. program allows extensive research and study in any one of our specialized program areas. You are provided with customized training in:
- Research methodologies
- Effective grant writing
- Dissemination of research findings at scientific conferences and in published journals and books
- Teaching students and/or the public in academic and community settings
- Making scholarly contributions to the profession and society
Careers include positions as university faculty, government agency experts and as scientists in the food and pharmaceutical industries.
In the M.S. Thesis option you'll conduct an in-depth research study in one of our specialized program areas in conjunction with supporting coursework.
The M.S. Non-Thesis option provides a research experience and additional coursework to prepare you for clinical, community, industry and government careers. In contrast to the M.S.-thesis option, the required research project is smaller in scope and is not designed for students who wish to pursue a Ph.D. degree.
M.S. Non-Thesis, Community Nutrition Online
The M.S. Non-Thesis, Community Nutrition Online option is a professionally oriented program for those who wish to expand their knowledge and ability to utilize nutrition research in fields such as school nutrition, extension service, community outreach, the food industry and more.
M.S. Thesis/Dietetic Internship
In the M.S. Thesis/Dietetic Intership you'll complete supervised practice hours within healthcare or community-based settings that qualify you to take the registration exam to become a Registered Dietitian.
Double Dawgs enables you to complete both your Bachelor's and Master's degrees in 5 years or less.
Internships, certificates, certifications, and other special programs are available to pursue as part of your graduate degree.
- School Nutrition Director Certification
- Obesity and Weight Management Certificate
- Sports Nutrition Emphasis
- University Teaching Certificate
Research + Careers
Student research training spans the basic, clinical and applied sciences. Research experiences, courses, internships, certificates, and certifications will prepare you for careers in:
- Long-term care
- Public health
- Wellness programs
Our faculty and students have interdisciplinary concentrations involving:
- Public health
- Regenerative medicine
Courses are offered in traditional classroom settings and a growing number of courses and programs are offered in online and distance education formats. Online options include:
Current information on cost of attendance can be found on the University of Georgia Office of Student Financial Aid website.
Visit the University of Georgia Office of Student FInancial Aid website for more information of Financial Aid for graduate students.
- Scholarships from the College of Family and Consumer Sciences
- The department nominates the most highly qualified students for scholarships from the Graduate School
- A select number of students receive assistantships, which requires 13 to 20 hours/week of work for the department, such as in teaching, research, and outreach
- Assistantships pay $11,000 to $25,000 annually, depending on the required hours
- Tuition is waived for students who do receive assistantships but fees must be paid of about $2,200 annually
- Selection of recipients for assistantships is merit-based with priority given to PhD students and those who apply by the December deadline
- The department nominates the most highly qualified applicants for assistantships from the Graduate School.
Our Graduates Succeed
Our students are award winners at the international and university-, state- and nation-wide levels. We give our graduates cutting-edge nutrition education and research experience so they shine as leaders in their careers.
- Kindler earns Georgia Clinical & Translational Sciences Alliance KL2 award 2 weeks ago
- UGA SNAP-Ed team recognized as part of 30-year celebration one month ago
- Noble earns Young Investigator Award from American Society for Nutrition 2 months ago
- Grider melds twin passions of music and science in classroom 9 months ago
- Pecan-enriched diet shown to reduce cholesterol 10 months ago