Feb 23, 2021
- The Obesity Society celebrated the 6th annual International Day of Women and Girls in Science on 2/11, and Emily Noble was selected along with 8 other women for recognition by TOS for "making outstanding accomplishments to help with the research, prevention, and treatment of obesity." Dr. Noble’s photo was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 2/15. Congratulations!
- Jo Shieh received a teaching assistantship from the Graduate School to teach GRSC 7770 (Foods & Nutrition Teaching Assistant Seminar) as a co-instructor with Barbara Grossman. GRSC 7770 is a 1-3 credit course providing TAs with knowledge of pedagogical approaches, relevant UGA policies, and available support systems. Check out Jo's feature on UGA's Graduate School website! Her photo was also shared on the FDN Facebook page on 2/16.
- Congratulations to Hea Jin Park for being selected to the Editorial Board for Nutrition Research in January 2021.
Feb 11, 2021
- Congratulations to FDN graduate students Mariah McDaniel and Julie Dean who have been named 2021 scholarship winners from the Georgia Nutrition Council. Mariah is receiving the Rita Waters Scholarship and Julie will receive the Holly B. Alley Scholarship at the virtual GNC Annual Conference held from 2/25-26. Photos of Mariah and Julie were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 2/10.
- As part of the most recent UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students identified UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Congratulations to Laurel Sanville and Katherine Ingerson who were each identified by members of the Class of 2020 as "a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
Feb 02, 2021
- As part of the most recent UGA Career Outcomes Survey, students identified UGA faculty and staff who have had a significant, positive impact on their career decision-making process. Congratulations to Alex Anderson, Claire de La Serre, Rob Pazdro, Emma Laing, Ginnefer Cox, Caree Cotright, and Art Grider who were each identified by members of the Class of 2020 as "a person who has contributed greatly to their career development and success."
- Congratulations to Taylor Newman who was recently hired as the Nutrition Program Development Manager for Kroger Health in Cincinnati, Ohio where she will be developing nutrition-related interventions, content, and research initiatives.
- Congratulations to Jiyoung "Sammi" Kim who received a postdoctoral fellow position at Emory University School of Medicine working under Dr. Andrew Neish in the Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine.
- Emma Laing was named a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She was featured in a FACS News article published on 2/1, and this was also shared on the FACS and FDN Facebook pages.
Jan 19, 2021
Congratulations to Hannah Wilson who has accepted a faculty position at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota. The position is an assistant professor position in their Nutrition, Dietetics, & Exercise Science Department, as well as the coordinator of their MS/DI program.
Dec 15, 2020
- Congratulations to William "Bill" Flatt who will be honored as a 2021 President’s Medal recipient. The President’s Medal recognizes extraordinary contributions by those who have supported outstanding students, championed meaningful academic programs, advanced significant research, or inspired community leaders to enhance the quality of life for Georgians through their support of the University of Georgia. Dr. Flatt will be honored at the President’s Medal award presentation, which will be held virtually on 1/25/21 in conjunction with UGA’s annual Founders Day celebration.
- Congratulations to Jake Conner, double major in dietetics and culinary science and nutrition, who has been selected as Outstanding Senior for Fall 2020. A photo of Jake was shared on the FACS and FDN Facebook pages on 12/11.
Dec 10, 2020
- Congratulations to dietetics major Julia Lance who received a Spring 2021 CURO Research Assistantship. Joseph Kindler is mentoring this project, which will focus on body size and bone density relationships in youth. Julia will present at the (virtual) CURO Symposium in the spring.
Nov 17, 2020
- Congratulations to nutritional sciences major Samantha Drop who has been named the Southeastern Conference Cross Country Women's Scholar-Athlete of the Year! She is the first Bulldog woman to win this honor in cross country. An article featuring Sam was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 11/11.
- Congratulations to Xi Fang who successfully defended her doctoral dissertation via Zoom on 11/12. The title of her presentation was, "Impact of bioactive compounds on neurocognitive development and metabolism." Xi will start her post-doctoral position at Yale University School of Medicine in January. A photo of Xi was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 11/13.
Nov 10, 2020
- Congratulations to Sina Gallo who is currently highlighted on the FACS website as a "featured person." View her faculty spotlight at this link.
Nov 03, 2020
- Taylor Newman presented our FDN Seminar on 10/21 and defended her dissertation via Zoom, titled, "Understanding the produce prescription program in the U.S.: A focus on program models, facilitators and barriers, and participant experiences."
Oct 20, 2020
- Art Grider has been invited to serve as a guest editor for Medical Sciences, "Zinc: Its Molecular and Biochemical Importance, and its Relevance in Medicine." Congratulations!
- Congratulations to the FACS Class of 2020! A video of Dean Fox speaking at the commencement ceremony as well as the FACS graduation program were posted on the FACS Facebook page on 10/16.
Oct 13, 2020
- Congratulations to the many FDN faculty and students who are recognized in the sixth annual Celebrating Excellence Recognition Program presented in a virtual format this year. View the news story here and the program linked here. Below are the awardees from our department.
- Hea Jin Park, Ali Berg, and Lilian Sattler were also honored in a FDN Facebook post on 3/7 (see Kudos 3/10):
- Faculty Mentoring Undergraduate Research Award: Hea Jin Park
- Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Extension and Outreach Faculty Award: Ali Berg
- Early Career Faculty Research Award: Lilian Sattler
- UGA Athletic Association Professorship in Family and Consumer Sciences: Jung Sun Lee
- Flatt Professorship in Foods and Nutrition: Lynn Bailey
- Flatt Professorship with a focus on Childhood Obesity: Jamie Cooper
- Jake Conner and Jacee Baldivid were also honored in a FDN Facebook post on 9/10 (see Kudos 9/15):
- FACS Alumni Association Scholarship: Jake Conner
- FACS Alumni Association – FCCLA: Jacee Baldivid
- Carolyn D. Berdanier Nutrition Science Support: Maggie K. Whitehead
- Burton-Fowler Undergraduate Research Award: Robyn Salzberg
- Evelyn R. Harris Academic Support: Xi Fang, Yuta Ishikawa, Julie Jeon
- Endsley-Peifer Student Research Award: Xi Fang
- Josephine Martin Emerging Leader in Policy Award: Taylor Newman
- Inez Wallace Tumlin Graduate Student Academic Support: Catherine Prater, Liana Guarneiri
- Zena Costa Brown Scholarship: Shreya Pandya
- Glenn and Helen Burton Feeding the Hungry Scholarship: Darci Bell
- Thomas F. Comer Scholarship: Catherine Ruter
- Iris Price Dover Scholarship: Aashka Sheth
- Julia Ann Simpson Elliott Scholarship: Madison Justice
- Fairchild-Holcomb Family FACS Scholarship: Lydia Akin
- Hazel and Gene Franklin Scholarship: Caroline Cerminaro, Liana Guarneiri
- Sharon Boone Hamner Foods and Nutrition Scholarship: Hannah Wilson
- Doe H. Harden Scholarship: Abigail Hightower
- Virginia Wilbanks Kilgore Scholarship: Tehgan Anguilm, Magen Lord, Kassidy Sharpe, Jessica Strosahl, Nick Slagel, Shannon Stowers, Hannah Wilson
- Rosabelle Carr Koelsche Fund: Samantha Hill
- Ruth Rowan Morrison Graduate Fellowship in Nutrition Studies: Yu-Ra Son
- Gwendolyn Brooks O’Connell Scholarship: Allison Rautmann
- Melynda Flatt Reid Dietetics Scholarship: Abigail Bailey, Flannery Daughtry, Bailey Echols, Mallory Johns, Megan Smith
- Elise Bray Richey Scholarship: Rebecca Gould
- Pam McIntyre Thompson, R. D. Scholarship: Whitley Carter, Isabella Morin
- Marian Wang Nutrition Scholarship: Samantha Bonnett, Corrie Fletcher, Devin Logan
- Karin Elizabeth Willis Scholarship: Freida Lim
- Lavender Family Legacy Scholarship: Sarah Perrine
- FACS Fund for Excellence: Darci Bell, Elizabeth (Betsy) Cogan, Xi Fang, Rebecca Gould, Yuta Ishikawa, Julie Jeon, Jiyoung Kim, Elizabeth Klingbeil
- Leila Alberta Ritchie Mize Endowment: Darci Bell, Elizabeth Cogan, Xi Fang, Rebecca Gould, Yuta Ishikawa, Julie Jeon, Jiyoung Kim, Elizabeth Klingbeil, Allie Lindke, Taylor Newman, Liana Guarneiri, Josephine Shieh, Nick Slagel, Yu-Ra Son, Hannah Wilson
Oct 06, 2020
- PhD students Becca Gould and Hannah Wilson have each received the 2020-2021 Irene J. Jones Memorial Scholarship from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation. Photos of Becca and Hannah were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 10/6. Congratulations!
Sep 29, 2020
- We are proud to announce that all six summer Dietetic Internship graduates have recently passed the RD exam! They are: Carolina Cawthon, Ani Powell, Beth Wood, Elizabeth Klingbeil, Hayley Sanders, Olivia Taylor, and Taylor Ragan. For most interns, almost all of their supervised practice was completed virtually this summer, so this pass rate is a notable accomplishment on this difficult exam.
Sep 22, 2020
- Congratulations to the SNAP-Ed Team on receiving the 2020 Program Excellence Through Research Award - First Place from the Georgia Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences; and the First Place Southern Region and National Award from the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS). The team received their NEAFCS award at the annual conference, which took place in a virtual format 9/14-16. The title of the proposal and award was: "Systematic Evaluation Guides the Development of UGA SNAP-Ed Social Marketing Programs." The SNAP-Ed Team also shared their work during a concurrent session with the same title, with 43 colleagues from across the nation. Congratulations!
Sep 15, 2020
- Congratulations to Exercise and Sport Science Major and Nutrition Science Minor Maggie Whitehead for receiving the Carolyn Berdanier Undergraduate Research Grants Program Award! The title of Maggie's project is, "Effect of a High Fat/High Sugar Western Diet on Brain Glycogen," and her research mentor is Emily Noble.
- Congratulations to Dietetics and Culinary Science and Nutrition double major Jake Conner and Dietetics major Jacee Baldivid! They are two of only three 2020-21 FACS Alumni Scholarship recipients. Read more about them here. This news was also shared on the FDN Facebook page on 9/10.
Sep 08, 2020
- Congratulations to the FDN students who have been named as FACS Ambassadors for the 2020-2021 year: Opeyemi Adelugba, Jake Conner, Bailey Davis, Samantha Hill, Miller Lantis, Freida Lim, and Madison Sutton.
Sep 01, 2020
- Congratulations to Silvia Giraudo who received Second Place for the "Innovation in Programming Award" given by the Georgia Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences. The award was presented to Dr. Giraudo on 8/18.
Aug 25, 2020
- Congratulations to Caroline Henning who was selected as a student trustee for the GDF board! A photo of Caroline attending her first board meeting via Zoom was shared to the FDN Facebook page on 8/25.
Aug 18, 2020
- Congratulations to Lauren Coheley who accepted an Instructional Assistant Professor position at Texas A&M University! Dr. Coheley will be teaching remotely this fall and moving to College Station, TX in the spring.
Aug 11, 2020
- We received the news on 8/7 from the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics that both the graduate-level dietetic internship, led by Barbara Grossman, and the undergraduate dietetics program, led by Emma Laing, have received approval to continue full accreditation through 2028. This news was shared in an FDN Facebook post on 8/7. There will be an official press release prepared by FACS in the coming days.
- The USDA Food and Nutrition Service Division just approved the UGA SNAP-Ed proposal to offer Food eTalk eLearning resources to non-GA SNAP-Ed programs. This is an exciting opportunity that will allow the SNAP-Ed team to share the nation’s first exclusively online, asynchronous programs with SNAP-Ed eligible Americans in social distancing times.
Aug 04, 2020
Jul 14, 2020
- Congratulations to dietetics major Julia Lance who received an Award of Excellence scholarship from the Federal Employee Education & Assistance Fund (FEEA)! Julia was selected from ~2400 applicants for this award, which is funded by FEEA as well as BlueCross BlueShield. Photos of Julia were posted on the FDN Facebook page on 7/14.
- Congratulations to Becca Gould for receiving a 2020 Georgia Dietetic Foundation Scholarship! A photo of Becca was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 7/7.
- Congratulations to Taylor Ragan for successfully defending her master's thesis on 7/8 via Zoom! The title of her presentation was, "TRANSLATION OF A FACE-TO-FACE NUTRITION TRAINING TO AN ONLINE TRAINING FOR EARLY CARE AND EDUCATION PROVIDERS: A COMPARISON OF OUTCOMES." A photo of Taylor was posted on the FDN Facebook page on 7/11.
Jul 07, 2020
- Congratulations to Elizabeth Klingbeil who accepted a nutrition faculty position at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, Rhode Island! Her contract begins August 15th.
- Congratulations to Ariathni Powell, for successfully defending her master's thesis on 6/30 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "Hablemos de Comida ¡Por SU Salud!: Formative evaluation of Spanish SNAP-Ed Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Curriculum." A photo of Ani was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/30.
Jun 30, 2020
- Congratulations to Olivia Taylor for successfully defending her master's thesis on 6/25 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "A survey of Cooperative Extension youth hands-on cooking programs in Georgia and related affecting factors."
- Congratulations to Jo Shieh who has been recommended to receive the Leilia Alberta Ritchie Mize Scholarship by the College of FACS for the 2020 summer session. Jo is one of approximately 50 graduate students in the College selected to receive this one-time scholarship. As a recipient of a College scholarship, Jo will be invited to the Celebrating Excellence Luncheon, which will be held in October, Date TBD. Jo’s photo was also shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/30.
- Congratulations to Lauren Coheley who recently became a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND). The FAND designation recognizes Dr. Coheley’s commitment to the field of nutrition and dietetics, and celebrates her professional accomplishments and pursuit of life-long learning.
Jun 23, 2020
- Congratulations to Taylor Newman who was selected for this year's American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences' (AAFCS) Jewell L. Taylor Graduate Fellowship. The AAFCS awards graduate fellowships to individuals who have exhibited the potential to make contributions to the family and consumer sciences profession. The Taylor Fellowship was established through a generous bequest from Jewell L. Taylor, a dedicated family and consumer sciences professional for more than 50 years. A photo of Taylor was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 6/22.
- Congratulations to Lilian Sattler who was elected to 2-year terms on the following AHA Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Committees: Leadership Committee (Member at Large), Nominations Committee, and Health Nutrition Committee (renewal). Dr. Sattler was also invited to serve as a as reviewer for Circulation (impact factor 23.054) and to review a scientific position statement by the American Heart Association, which is pending publication in the coming year.
Jun 16, 2020
- Congratulations to new FDN faculty member Sina Gallo and her team, who are recipients of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics Foundation’s 2020 Anita Owen Award of Recognition for Innovative Nutrition Education for their pediatric weight management program for Latino families entitled, "Vidas Activas y Familias Saludables."
Jun 09, 2020
- Congratulations to Nick Slagel for successfully defending his doctoral dissertation on 6/3 via Zoom. The title of his presentation was, "The Effects of a Fruit and Vegetable Prescription (FVRx) Program for Low-income Adults."
May 20, 2020
- Congratulations to Hayley Sanders for successfully defending her master's thesis on 5/14 via Zoom. The title of her presentation was, "The development of a text message-based intervention to improve nutrition practices in the home among parents of young children." A photo of Hayley was shared on the FDN Facebook page.
- Congratulations to Xi Fang for being selected as an Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Finalist, which recognizes the very best research presented by students and young investigators during the American Society for Nutrition NUTRITION 2020 meeting. The title of Xi's abstract is, "Effect of Maternal Supplementation of Lutein on Brain Functional Organization of Offspring in a Piglet Model." Her abstract will be marked with a special award icon on the schedule planner and mobile app during the meeting to highlight her accomplishment as an Emerging Leaders in Nutrition Science Finalist. For those of you attending NUTRITION 2020 LIVE ONLINE, please be sure to view her presentation. Xi's abstract was also invited for a flash talk during the Carotenoids and Retinoids Interest Group (CARIG) RIS Forum. A photo of Xi was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 5/15.
- Congratulations to Nutritional Sciences major Robyn Salzberg for receiving the 2020 Burton-Fowler Undergraduate Research Award. This award recognizes outstanding research conducted by undergraduate students currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program in the College of FACS.
May 13, 2020
- Congratulations to Elizabeth Klingbeil who successfully defended her dissertation on 5/7 via Zoom! The title of her presentation was, "Manipulation of the gut microbiota attenuates the negative effects of high-fat diet." A photo of Elizabeth was posted on the FDN Facebook page.
May 06, 2020
- Dean Fox announced the newest members of the Faculty Advisory Committee for 2020-2021, and these include FDN faculty Chad Paton, Ginnefer Cox, and Jung Sun Lee. Congratulations!
- Featured Graduates from FDN were announced and include Karina Patel, Alexa Taylor, Olivia Taylor, Resean Wallace, Christine Graaf, Lauren Coheley, Julie Dean, Elizabeth Klingbeil, Carin Booth, Morgan Rossi, Carolina Cawthon, Lydia Averette, Sylvia Chen, Caroline Henning, and Nick Slagel. These student profiles were also shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/30.
- Congratulations to the new and returning FACS Ambassadors from FDN:
- Yemi Adelugba, Nutritional Sciences
- Jake Conner, Dietetics
- Bailey Davis, Dietetics
- Sam Hill, Culinary Science and Nutrition
- Miller Lantis, Nutritional Sciences
- Freida Lim, Culinary Science and Nutrition & Dietetics
- Aashka Sheth, Nutritional Sciences
- Madison Sutton, Dietetics
- We are excited to welcome the following faculty and staff to our department:
- Kandice Mitchell, Business Manager II, start date: 5/1
- Sina Gallo, Associate Professor, start date: 8/1
- Joseph Kindler, Assistant Professor, start date: 8/1
Apr 28, 2020
- Congratulations once again to nutritional sciences major Resean Wallace, one of just 41 UGA students to earn the Presidential Award of Excellence. This distinction is awarded to undergraduate students in their final year of study who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, strong extracurricular involvement and/or service to and involvement in their respective school or college. Students selected for this award exemplify the best of UGA’s undergraduate student body. Resean's photo was shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/23 (also see Kudos 3/31).
Apr 21, 2020
- Congratulations to Jamie Cooper for receiving the 2020 CURO Research Mentoring Award! Dr. Cooper received this award for her commitment to developing undergraduate researchers at UGA through transformational learning experiences. A photo was shared on the FDN Facebook page on 4/17.
- Nutritional Sciences major Wilkray Biboum was honored in the UGA student profile, "Bloom where you’re planted: Student finds place at UGA," published on 4/16. This profile was also shared on the FACS Facebook page on 4/17.
Apr 07, 2020
Congratulations to the newest members of the student dietetic association (SDA) board for 2020-2021. Their names were announced in a post on the SDA and FDN Facebook pages on 4/3:
- President: Kinsey Hargis
- Vice President: Catherine Ruter
- Secretary: Emmaline Peterson
- Treasurer: Laney Jones
- PR Chair: Kiah Shannon
- Community Service: Emily Crum
- Communications Chair: Libby Siegel
- Social Chair: Mayra Patino
Mar 31, 2020
- Xi Fang received the Endsley-Peifer Student Research Paper Award for her published paper in the physical/biological sciences. The title of her paper is, "Effect of Acute Ingestion of Green Tea Extract and Lemon Juice on Oxidative Stress and Lipid Profile in Pigs Fed a High-Fat Diet," published in Antioxidants. Hea Jin Park is Xi’s faculty mentor.
- Nutritional Sciences major Resean Wallace was selected as a recipient of the UGA Presidential Award of Excellence. Individuals receiving this award represent the top 1% of undergraduates at UGA who excel not only in academics, but also in their service the community and in their leadership both on and off campus.
- Photos of Xi and Resean were shared on the FDN Facebook page on 3/31.
Mar 10, 2020
Congratulations to the FDN faculty who have been selected to receive 2020 awards of excellence from the College of Family and Consumer sciences! This news was also shared in an FDN Facebook post on 3/7:
- Ali Berg is the recipient of the Bill and June Flatt Outstanding Extension and Outreach Award
- Hea Jin Park is the recipient of the Faculty Mentoring Undergraduate Research Award
- Lilian Sattler is the recipient of the Early Career Faculty Research Award
Mar 03, 2020
- Lauren Coheley was recently announced as the next president-elect of GAND (the Georgia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics). Congratulations!
- Congratulations once again to Liana Rodrigues for winning the 2020 Holly B. Alley Scholarship from the Georgia Nutrition Council. Photos of Liana receiving her award in Statesboro can be viewed in an FDN Facebook post on 2/28.