Human Development and Family Science
L.A.-based entrepreneur said FACS gave her the knowledge and fundamentals necessary for career success
Child Early Development & Early Childhood Education (Specialization PreK-2nd Grade), 2010
- Current occupation/Location
Private Educator & Caregiver, Los Angeles, California
- What has been your proudest accomplishment since graduating?
Starting my own business this year, Marie Poppins: Travel Nanny Services
- What was your favorite class in FACS?
CHFD 5130: Creative Activities for Young Children
- Did you have a favorite – or most memorable – faculty member?
Yes - Amy Kay - She still gives me professional advice and guidance.
- How do you think FACS prepared you for your career success?
FACS gave me the knowledge and fundamentals to help me navigate my professional career. From lectures, small group lessons, hands-on experience, and two years of student teaching, I felt prepared to enter the workforce. I learned how to be a classroom teacher and transition into the private sector with the skills necessary to be an entrepreneur.
- What inspires or motivates you?
Art, culture and constant learning inspire me to be the best educator I can be.
- What advice would you give a current FACS student looking to pursue a career in your field?
Find your niche: learn a second language or special skill to make yourself more marketable for clients.