Lynn B. Bailey
College of Family and Consumer Sciences
Department Head, Flatt Professor in Nutritional Sciences
Prior Professional Positions
|Organization||Title||Years of Service|
|University of Georgia||Professor and Department Head||August 1, 2011- present|
|University of Florida||Professor, Food Science & Human Nutrition||1987-2011|
|University of Florida||Associate Professor, Food Science & Human Nutrition||1982-1987|
|University of Florida||Assistant Professor||1977-1981|
|Purdue University||Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Lecturer, Food & Nutrition Department||1975-1977|
|Position||Name of Journal||Year(s)|
|Editorial Board||Nutrition Reviews||1997-2000|
|Editorial Board||Journal of Nutrition||1991-1995|
|Associate Editor||Journal of Nutrition||1989-1990|
Areas of Expertise
My area of expertise is the assessment of folate status biomarkers of population sub-groups and related data interpretation in diverse research and clinical settings and as a basis for public health policy decisions regarding folate status assessment, intake recommendations and interventions including folic acid supplementation and fortification.
Current Scholarly Endeavors Related to Areas of Expertise
Nutrition International Co-Leader of-Global Project to Evaluate Folate Status in Women of Reproductive Age to Prevent Neural Tube Defects with Funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Evaluate and publish folate status data of women of reproductive age as an indicator of neural tube defect risk
- Identify knowledge gaps related to folate status assessment globally
- Publication of journal papers and participate in global conferences with key stakeholders related to folate status globally, neural tube defect risk and fortification as a means to increase folic acid intake
|Award Name||Awarded By||Year Awarded|
|Purdue University Hall of Fame||Foods and Nutrition Department Purdue University||2011|
|University of Florida Teacher/Scholar of the Year||University of Florida||2008-2009|
|Centrum Science Award for Research Accomplishments in Human Nutrition||American Society for Nutrition||2004|
|Outstanding Professional Skill Award for the Distance Education (team award)||International Association for Communication||2004|
|Agnes Higgins Award for Accomplishments in Fetal and Maternal Medicine||March of Dimes||2000-2001|
|Gold Image Award (team award)||UF/IFAS||2003|
|Blue Key Distinguished Faculty Award||Blue Key||2002|
|Research Foundation Professorship||University of Florida||2001|
|Senior Research Scientist Award||Gamma Sigma Delta- Florida Chapter||2001|
|International Research Scientist Award Nominee||Gamma Sigma Delta- Florida Chapter||2001|
|Volunteer of the Year||March of Dimes- North Central Florida||2001|
|Professional Merit Award||University of Florida||1999|
|Professional Excellence Award||University of Florida||1997-1998|
|National Award for Superior Service in Research||USDA||1996|
|Outstanding Teaching Award||University of Florida||1995-1996|
|Distinguished Alumni||Winthrop University||1995|
|Award (Readex) Most Outstanding Published Article||American Dietetic Association||1995|
|Centennial Distinguished Alumni||Clemson University||1988|
|Micronutrient Forum||Co-chair||2016- present||Providing leadership to international group of scientists charged with developing a “roadmap” to reduce neural tube defects globally|
|UGA/The Forum Institute||Advisory Board Member||2016- present||Providing guidance regarding development of a new Preconception to Infancy (P2i) Center for Excellence on Preconception Care|
|National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Maternal and Child Health||Chair Biomarkers of Nutrition for Development Folate Panel||2011- present|
|Centers of Disease Control and Prevention||Scientific Advisor||2004-2011||Provided scientific advice for global folate status assessment and folic acid intervention studies conducted in China, Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize.|
|United States Department of Agriculture||National Research Initiatives Competitive Grant Program Grant Reviewer||1991-2007||(Panel Member and Ad-Hoc)|
|National Academy of Sciences||Scientific Expert||2004-2005||Provided scientific advice, presented, and wrote report for reformulation of nutrients in meals for combat soldiers exposed to extreme physical stress.|
|National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine||Committee on Examination of Evolving Science for Dietary Supplements||2001-2002||Provided scientific advice, presented and wrote review related to health benefits of dietary supplements.|
|American Society for Nutritional Sciences||Nominating Committee and Chair for Centrum Award in Human Nutrition||2000-2002|
|Pan American Health Organization and the University of Chile, Santiago, Chile||Expert Advisor and Research Collaborator||1998-2002||Provided scientific advice and analyzed fortified bread for “Chilean Folic Acid Intervention Program and Evaluation to Reduce Neural Tube Defects”.|
|National Institutes of Health||Program Grant Reviewer||2000||Reviewed research productivity and conducted site visit for multi-center research program to investigate the etiology of folate-related birth defects|
|March of Dimes- International Division||National Advisory Group on Research Objectives||1999||Derived global research objectives for the optimization of fetal development and growth.|
|National Academy of Sciences||Institute of Medicine Committee, Chair Folate Panel||1996-1998||Reviewed scientific literature and chaired committee efforts to derive the folate-related recommendations for Dietary Reference Intakes for “Folate and Other B Vitamins”.|
|National Institutes of Health||Office of Dietary Supplements, Advisory Panel||1996||Provided scientific advice regarding the nutritional benefit of dietary supplements.|
|National Institutes of Health||Member of Scientific Reviewer Panel for Optimal Calcium Intake Consensus Conference||1994|
|American Society of Nutritional Sciences||National Treasurer and Chair of Budget and Finance Committee||1993|
|US Congress||Congressional Witness||1993||Presented testimony on “Regulation of Dietary Supplements as Food”|
|National Academy of Sciences||Scientific Adviosr||1993||Scientific advisor to determine if data sufficient to derive new Recommended Dietary Allowances|
|Food and Drug Administration||Folic Acid Food Advisory Committee member||1992-1994||Recommended fortification of US food supply with folic acid culminating in 1996 FDA-mandated fortification of all “enriched” cereal grains products with folic acid.|
|Institute of Food Technology||Food Policy Committee||1992|
|American Society of Nutritional Sciences||Executive Committee||1991-1995|
|American Dietetic Association, Council on Research||Chair Research Awards Committee||1991-1992|
|American Society of Nutritional Sciences||Lederle Award Committee||1991|
|Gamma Sigma Delta||President Florida Division||1991|
|Food and Drug Administration||Scientific Advisor||1991||Reviewed scientific evidence and coauthored report: “Folate and Neural Tube Defects”.|
|National Aeronautics and Space Administration||Committee for Nutrient Requirements for Astronauts||1991||Derived nutrient requirements for astronauts that were published in the “Nutritional Requirements for Space Station Astronauts”.|
|Institute of Food Technologists||Babcock-Hart Awards Committee||1990-1991|
|American Dietetic Association||Council on Research||1989-1992||Reviewed and selected research grant award recipients.|
|Centers for Disease Control||Expert Scientific Committee||1989-1991||Scientific advisor for proposed folic acid birth defect intervention trial conducted in China|
|American Society of Nutritional Sciences||Expert Scientific Committee||1989||Evaluated data to address assessing status of hard-to reach population groups.|
|Institute of Food Technology||Nominating Committee||1989|
|American Society Nutritional Sciences||Nominating Committee||1988, 2001-2003|
|Institute of Food Technology||National Chair Nutrition Division||1987||Directed activities of national Nutrition Division, planned national Nutrition Division meeting, planned symposium that took place at national meeting.|
|National Institutes of Health||National Cancer Institute||1987||Evaluation research programs for large-scale multi-center grant. Site visitor to university research program facilities.|
|Institute of Food Technology||Director of the “National Food and Nutrition Policy Conference”. Washington, DC||1987|
|Food and Drug Administration||Scientific Advisor||1985-1986||Provided advice and evaluated research data relative to attaining Public Health Service Objectives for Improved Nutrition in 1990.|
|Life Science Research Organization||Scientific Expert||1981-1984||Evaluation and interpretation of data from National Nutrition and Health Examination Survey.
Books Edited (Sole Editor)
- Bailey LB. Folate in Health and Disease. 2nd Edition. Taylor and Frances. Boca Raton, FL ,2009, pgs 1-583.
- Bailey LB. Folate in Health and Disease. Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, 1995, pgs 1-469.
Book Chapters Authored
- Bailey, LB, da Silva, V, West, A, Caudill, M. Folate. In: Handbook of Vitamins, Taylor and Francis, 2013.
- Bailey, LB, Caudill MA. Folate. In: Present Knowledge in Nutrition. International Institute of Life Sciences, 2012.
- Kauwell, GPA, Diaz, M, Yang, Q, Bailey LB. Folate: Recommended intake consumption and status. In: Folate in Health and Disease, 2nd Ed., Bailey, L.B. (ed), Taylor Francis Press, Boca Raton, FL, pgs 467-490, 2009.
- Falls BT and Bailey LB. Folate a key to optimal pregnancy outcome. In: Handbook of Nutrition and Pregnancy. Lammi-Keefe CJ and Couch SS (eds), Humana Press, Totowa NJ pgs 245-254, 2008.
- Bailey LB. Folic Acid. In: Handbook of Vitamins. Zempleni J and Rucker R. (eds), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2007.
- Bailey LB and Gregory JF. Folate. In: Present Knowledge in Health and Disease. 9th ed. Bowman B and Russel R. (eds), ILSI Press, Washington, DC, 2006.
- Bailey LB and von Castel-Dunwoody K. Effect of inadequate B vitamin intake and extreme physical stress. In: Optimization of Nutrient Composition of Military Rations for Short-Term, High-Stress Situations. IOM Committee on Military Nutrition, NAS Press, Washington, DC 2005.
- Bailey LB, Moyers S, Gregory JF Folate. In: Present Knowledge in Human Nutrition. 8th ed. Bowman B and Russell R. (eds), ILSI Press, 2001.
- Bailey LB and Caudill MA. Pyridoxine. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. (Baumgartner TG, ed.) (2nd edition) Fujisawa USA, Inc, 1997, pgs. 563-578.
- Bailey LB and Caudill MA. Cyanocobalamin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner, T G (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc., 1997, pgs. 579-595.
- Bailey LB and Caudill MA. Biotin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T G (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc., 1997, pgs. 597-610.
- Bailey, L B., and Caudill, M A. Folic acid. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T G (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc, 1997, pgs. 611-628.
- Sitren HS, Bailey LB, Cerda JJ. Thiamin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner TG (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc, 1997, pgs. 483-498.
- Sitren HS, Bailey LB, Cerda JJ. Riboflavin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner TG (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc, 1997, pgs. 499-514.
- Bailey LB, Sitren HS, Cerda JJ. Niacin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner TG (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc, 1997, pgs. 515-530.
- Bailey LB, Sitren HS, Cerda JJ. Ascorbic Acid. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner TG. (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc, 1997, pgs. 531-548.
- Bailey LB, Sitren HS, Cerda JJ. Pantothenic Acid. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner TG. (ed.), (2nd edition), Fujisawa USA, Inc, 1997, pgs. 549-562.
- Bailey LB. Folate requirements and recommended dietary intakes. In: Folate in Health and Disease. (Bailey LB, ed), Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York, 1995.
- Bailey LB. Vitamin B6. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed.), Lyphomed, Melrose Park, IL, 1991, pgs. 521-540.
- Bailey LB. Folate. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed), Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 573-590.
- Bailey LB. Biotin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed), Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 559-572.
- Bailey LB. Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12). In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed.) Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 451-468.
- Sitren HS, Bailey LB, Cerda JJ. Riboflavin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed.) Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 451-468.
- Sitren HS, Bailey LB, Cerda JJ. Thiamin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed.) Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 431-450.
- Sitren HS, Bailey LB, Cerda JJ. Niacin. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed.) Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 469-486.
- Sitren H S, Bailey, L B, Cerda JJ. Ascorbic Acid. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner, T. (ed.) Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 487-506.
- Sitren HS, Bailey LB, Cerda JJ. Pantothenic acid. In: Parenteral Micronutrient Handbook. Baumgartner T. (ed.) Lyphomed, Melrose Park, 1991, pgs. 451-468.
- Bailey LB. Vitamin and amino acid additives. In: Nutrient Additions to Food. Bauernfeind, JC (ed.) Wavely Press, Mellroe Park, IL, 1991, 109-142.
- Bailey L B. Folate nutrition in adolescents and adults. In: Folic Acid Metabolism in Health and Disease. Picciano MF. Stokstad ELR, Gregory JF. (eds.), Wiley-Liss, New York, 1990, pgs. 253-276.
- Bailey LB. Folate nutrition in adolescents and adults. In: Folic Acid Metabolism in Health and Disease. Picciano MF, Stokstad ELR., Gregory JF. (eds). Wiley-Liss, New York, 1990.
- Bailey LB. Iron and folate nutriture during life cycle. In: Aspects of Nutritional Physiology, Bourne, G. H. (editor), Karger, Basel, 1988, pgs. 56-86.
- Bailey LB. Nutritional anemia. In: Nutritional Aspects of Aging. Chen L. (ed.), CRC Press. Cleveland Ohio, 1986, pgs. 207-229.
Jorge Rosenthal, Natalia Largaespada, Lynn Bailey, Michael Cannon, CJ Alverson, Dayrin Ortiz, Gail Kauwell, Joe Sniezek, Ramon Figueroa, Robyn Daly, and Peter Allen. Folate concentration and its association with vitamin B12 status among non-pregnant women of childbearing age. Belize National Micronutrient Survey. Journal of Nutrition (under review).
Anna K. Knight, et al., Hea Jin Park, Lynn B. Bailey, and Alicia K. Smith. An epigenetic clock for gestational age at birth based on blood methylation data. Genome Biology 7:206, doi: 10.1186/s13059-016-1068-z, 2016.
Gordon, J. D., Hausman, D. B., Bailey, L. B., Lewis, R. D., Laing, E. M., & Park, H. J. Impact of gluten-containing foods on folate intake of women of childbearing age. The Digest, 51(1), 2-7, 2016
Cheng T-Y C, Makar, K W, Neuhouser M L, Miller JW, Song X, Brown EC, Beresford, Zheng Y, Poole EM, Galbraith RL, Duggan DJ, Habermann N, Bailey LB, Maneval DR, Caueill MA, Toriola, AT, Green R, Ulrich CM. Folate mediated one-carbon metabolism genes and interactions with nutritional factors on colorectal cancer risk: Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study. Cancer, doi: 10.1002/cncr.29465, 2015
Bailey, LB, Stover P, McNulty, H, Fenech M, Gregory, JF, Mills J, Pfeiffer C, Fazili Z, Zhang, M, Ueland PM, Molloy A, Caudill, M, Shane, B, Berry RJ, Bailey R, Hausman D, Raghavan R, Raiten, D. Biomarkers of Nutrition for Development-Folate Review. Journal of Nutrition, 145: 1635S, 2015.
Bae J, Ulrich C, Neuhouser M, Malysheva O, Bailey L, Xiao L, Brown E, Cushing-H K, Zheng Y, Cheng T-Y, Miller J, Green R, Lane D, Beresford S, Caudill M. Plasma choline metabolites and colorectal can risk in Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study. Cancer Research, Oct 21, 2014.
Abbenhardt C, Miller J, Song X, Brown E, Cheng D, Wener M, Zheng Y, Toriola AT, Neuhouser, ML, Beresford S, Makar K, Bailey L, Maneval DR, Green R, Manson JE, van Horn L, Ulrich CM. Relationship between biomarkers of one-carbon metabolism and biomarkers of inflammation. J Nutrition, 144: 714, 2014.
Bae S, Ulrich CM, Bailey LB, Malysheva O, Brown EC, Neuhouser L, Cheng D, Miller JW, Zheng Y, Xiao L, Hou L, Song X, Buck K, Beresford, Caudill, M. Impact of folic acid fortification on global DNA methylation on one-carbon biomarkers in the Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study cohort. Epigenetics, March 9; 396, 2014.
da Silva VR, Hausman DB, Kauwell GP, Sokolow A, Tackett RL, Rathbun SL, Bailey, LB. Obesity affects short-term folate pharmacokinetics in women of childbearing age. Int J Obesity, April doi:10.1038/ijo.2013.41: 1-3, 2013.
Quinlivan EP, Crider KS, Zhu J-H, Maneval DR, Hao L, Li Zhu, Rasmussen SA, Berry RJ, Bailey, LB. Hypomethylation of serum blood clot DNA, but not plasma EDTA-blood cell pellet DNA, from vitamin B12-deficient subjects. PLoS ONE 8(6): e65241. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0065241, 2013.
Tinker, S, Hamner HC, Berry RJ, Bailey, LB, Pfeiffer CM. Does obesity modify the association of supplemental folic acid with folate status among women of childbearing age in the United States? Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology 94: 749-755, 2012.
Quanhe Y; Bailey LB; Clarke R; Flanders WD; Liu T; Yesupriya A; Khoury M; Friedman JM. Prospective Study of Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase (MTHFR) Variant C677T and Risk for All-Cause and Cardiovascular Mortality among 6000 U.S. Adults. Am J Clin Nutr 95:1-10, 2012.
Crider KS, Bailey LB. Folate’s role in DNA methylation. Advances in Nutrition 3: 21-38, 2012.
Crider KS, Quinlivan EP, Berry RJ, Hao L, Li Z, Maneval D, Yang TP, Rasmussen SA, Yang Q, Zhu J-H, Hu DJ, Bailey, LB. Genomic DNA methylation changes in response to folic acid supplementation in a population-based intervention study among women of reproductive age. PLoS ONE 6(12): e28144.doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0028144, 2011.
Wilson S, Courchene B, Russel K, Bailey L. Oral contraceptive use: impact on folate, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 status. Nut Rev 69: 572-583, 2011.
Crider KS, Bailey, LB, Berry RJ. Folic acid food fortification-Its History, Impact, Concern, and Future Direction. Nutrients do1:10.33390/nu30x000x, 2011.
Crider K, Bailey LB. Defying birth defects through diet. Genome Medicine 3:9, 2011.
Crida K, Zhu J-H, Ling H, Yang Q-H, Yang T, Gindler, J, Maneval DR, Quinlivan EP, Li Z, Bailey LB, Berry RJ. Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C→T genotype is associated with folate and homocysteine concentration in a large population-based double-blind trial of folic acid supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr 93: 1365, 2011.
Yeung LF, Cogswell ME, Carriquiry A, Bailey LB, Pfeiffer CM, Berry RJ. Contributions of enriched cereal grain products, ready-to-eat cereal, and supplements to the folic acid and vitamin B12 status in US children: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2006. Am J Clin Nutr 93:1-14, 2010.
Yang Q, Cogswell, ME, Hamner H, Carriquiry A, Bailey LB, Pfeiffer CM, Berry RJ. Folic acid source, usual intake, and folate and vitamin B12 status in US adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2003-2006. Am J Clin Nutr 91:64-72, 2010.
Von Castel-Roberts, K, Whitman AR, Maneval DR, Bailey, LB, Kauwell GPA. Contribution of seafood to total vitamin B12 intake and status of young adult men and women. J Aquatic Food Product Technology 19:26-37, 2010
Hardlei TF, Moerkbak AL, Bor MV, Bailey LB, Hvas A-M, Nexo E. Assessment of vitamin B12 absorption based on the accumulation of orally administered cyanocobalamin on transcobalamin.Clinical Chemistry 56: 432-36, 2010.
Pietrzik, K, Bailey, LB., Shane B. Folic acid and L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate: Comparison of Clinical Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics. Clinical Pharmacokinetics 49: 535-48, 2010.
Bor M-V, von Castel-Roberts K M ,Kauwell, GPA,Stabler SP,Allen RH ,Maneval DR ,Bailey LB, and Nexo E.Daily intake of 4 to 7 micrograms of dietary vitamin B12 is associated with steady levels of vitamin B12-related biomarkers in a healthy young population, Am J Clin Nutr 91: 571-7, 2010.
Simpson JL, Bailey, LB, Shane B, Holzgreve W, Pietrzik K. Micronutrients and women of reproductive potential:required dietary intake and consequences of dietary deficiency or excess.Part I-Folates, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6.J Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine.23: 1323-43, 2010.
Simpson JL, Bailey, LB, Shane B, Holzgreve W, Pietrzik K. Micronutrients and women of reproductive potential:required dietary intake and consequences of dietary deficiency or excess. Part II- Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Iron, Zinc, Iodine, Essential Fatty Acids. J Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine. DOI: 10.3109/14767051003678226. Early Online 1-24, 2010.
Jiang Hui Zhu, Dale J. Hu, Ling Hao, Bao Lan Zhang, Mary E. Cogswell, Lynn B. Bailey, Zhu Li and R.J. Berry. Iron, folate, and B12 deficiencies and their associations with anemia among women of childbearing age in a rural area in northern China. Int J Vit Nut Res 80: 144-54, 2010.
Zhu J-H, Hao L, Li S, Bailey LB, Zhu, Li. MTHFR TGFB3, and TBFA polymorphisms and their association with the risk of non-syndromic cleft lip and cleft palate in China. Am J Medical Genetics Part A 9999:1-9, 2009.
Ling H, Yang Q-H, Li Z, Bailey LB, Zhu J-H, Hu DJ, Zhang L, Erickson JD, Zhang L, Gindler J, Li S, Berry RJ. Folate status and homocysteine response to folic acid doses and withdrawal among young Chinese women in a large-scale randomized double blind trial. Am J Clin Nutr 88: 448-57, 2008.