Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
This undergraduate research program gives undergraduate FACS students a $1,000 award and opportunity for mentored participation in research conducted with a FACS faculty member, stimulating student interest and involvement in scientific inquiry. The mentoring faculty member will be given access to up to $1,000 for related research costs.
Participation in this program allows undergraduate FACS majors to interact closely with FACS faculty investigators and research teams, to apply their coursework, and to develop more competitive resumes for graduate and/or professional school applications and the job market.
Students may have the opportunity to:
- Participate in research design, planning and implementation
- Collect, analyze and summarize data
- Attend and participate in research meetings/informal discussions
- Present research findings and e) be involved in research publication
- Eligible students will be majoring in one of the FACS majors; in their sophomore, junior, or senior year; with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher at time of application. No prior research experience is required for participation in the program; however, specified coursework may be a prerequisite for some research opportunities. Participation begins in September and ends at the completion of the academic year.
- Students receiving $1,000 UGA Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunity (CURO) stipend during same academic year (fall or spring semester) are NOT eligible.
- Faculty mentor must be employed by the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Student and faculty mentor work together to complete the application form.
- Submit all materials by September 15 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recipients of the award will be required to submit an abstract for presentation (poster or oral) at the Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities (CURO) Symposium which is held during Spring semester. Participation in the CURO symposium is required of ALL recipients of the award.
- Recipients will be recognized at FACS Celebrating Excellence Luncheon the following academic year which is held Fall semester.
- Awards will be given to up to 10 undergraduate student/faculty mentor pairs each fall. The student will receive a $1,000 award. Funds for faculty must be spent by May 31 on allowable research related costs up to $1,000.