Food, Cuisine and Culture in South Korea and Japan
This is a unique program exploring food culture, cuisine and nutrition in South Korea and Japan. Students will spend 17 days in major cities in South Korea and Japan including Seoul, Gyeongju, Busan, Fukuoka and Tokyo, experiencing traditional and current food culture in the Far East countries. The program will include various cultural experiences such as kimchi cooking class, fermented sauce company visit, North Korean meal experience, sake brewery visit, tea farm visit, temple stay, local food market visits as well as guided tours of famous palaces, DMZ, museums and temples. Students will have an opportunity to interact with faculty and students from local universities during the program.
Courses Offered (6 credits, Taught by UGA faculty):
- NUTR 4630 Cultural Aspects of Nutritional Sciences
- NUTR 5710 Study Tour in Nutritional Sciences
Estimated Program fee: $3,500-$4,000. This may increase due to currency exchange rates and local condition.
Space Available for May 2024: up to 15. Open to all UGA students
Program Dates: May 18, 2024 - June 3, 2024 (tentative)
Program Fee includes:
- 15 Nights in South Korea and Japan
- Daily breakfasts during the program
- Transportation during the program including public transportation passes in Seoul, Fukuoka and Tokyo, coach transportation, Ferry from Busan to Fukuoka and flight from Fukuoka to Tokyo
- Academic excursions and activities including kimchi cooking class, fermented sauce company tour and cooking class, North Korean meal experience, sake brewery tour, tea farm tour and tasting, temple stay with meals, local market visits and more.
- Cultural excursions and activities including guided tours of Seoul, Gyeongju, Busan, Fukuoka and Tokyo including visits to palaces, DMZ, museums, temples and more.
- Guest faculty lectures and students’ interaction from local universities.
Program Fee Does Not Include:
- UGA tuition and fees
- International airfare
- Most lunch/dinner and personal spending
Scholarships: Students participating in this program are eligible to apply for an Education Abroad Scholarships offered by UGA https://studyaway.uga.edu/ and FACS https://www.fcs.uga.edu/ssac/scholarships-study-away.
Questions: Email Dr. Hea Jin Park (firstname.lastname@example.org)